REPORT | Atlanta United 2-2 Philadelphia Union

Image courtesy of Philadelphia Union's Twitter account.

Jakob Glesnes was the hero as his stunning strike secured a late and unlikely draw for the Philadelphia Union. The game ended 2-2 against Atlanta United at the Mercedes Benz Stadium.

Atlanta scored twice in the second half, with their first goal coming from an own goal as Kacper Przybylko headed into his own net. Anton Walkes made it two with just seven minutes left as his header into the top corner from Brooks Lennon's cross gave Andre Blake no chance.

Cory Burke gave the Union hope a minute later as he latched onto a rebound and blasted the ball into the roof of the net. Then came Glesnes' incredible finish in the third minute of stoppage time. He picked the ball up on the halfway line and ran towards goal, and from 35 yards out, he blasted a shot towards goal, which cannoned off the crossbar, giving Brad Guzan no chance.

Jim Curtin made one change from the side that beat Portland Timbers in Philadelphia's last game. Jose Martinez is away at the Copa America, so Anthony Fontana started in his place. Sergio Santos went off with a knock in that game but shook off what bothered him.

New signing Alvas Powell was on the bench, whilst Erick Torres started in place of Josef Martinez, who is also at the Copa America.

Atlanta had a huge chance in the opening stages as Brooks Lennon got forward. He curled a ball towards Torres, but a crucial touch from Jakob Glesnes did enough to put him off as Andre Blake gathered the loose ball.

Santiago Sosa forced Blake into a scrambling save in the 11th minute. Sosa rose highest from a corner, and his header towards goal looked like it was going wide, but Blake took no chances and made sure he pushed it away.

A couple of minutes later, Santos had a great half-chance for the Union. Kai Wagner did well to get down the left-hand side and cut the ball back into the area. Santos was the first to it, but he could not make clear contact with the ball as it flashed wide of the post.

Fontana had a huge chance to put the Union 1-0 up moments later. Another nice build-up from Philadelphia saw Santos flick the ball into the path of Fontana after a low cross into the box. Fontana was in acres of space but chose to shoot first time. However, his effort was straight at Brad Guzan as the Union saw a big chance go begging.

Philadelphia had a huge chance on the counter-attack in the 35th minute. Sergio Santos drove towards the penalty area and laid it off to Kacper Przybylko. Przybylko's effort was blocked, and the rebound fell to Santos, who also had his shot blocked as it went out for a corner. The resulting set-piece came to nothing as the Union were unable to capitalise.

Przybylko was next to test the Atlanta goal. Good play from Leon Flach saw the forward have possession on the right-hand side. Przybylko cut in on his left foot and shot from the edge of the area, but Guzan was equal to it and pushed the low effort away from danger.