top of page

REPORT | Ale Bedoya the late hero to stun fuming SKC

Ale Bedoya's controversial stoppage-time goal ensured the Philadelphia Union left Sporting Kansas City with the unlikeliest point in a 1-1 draw.

Sporting Kansans City started the game on the front foot, with Johnny Russell testing Oliver Semmle. However, his left-footed shot from a tight angle was saved. After a spell of possession for the visitors, Kansas City continued to cause issues in behind the Union defense. Dániel Sallói played a defense-splitting pass for Erik Thommy, who had made the run behind the Philadelphia back line. He cut it back for Alan Pulido, who thumped it past a helpless Semmle. However, it proved a lucky break for the Union, as the linesman's flag was raised for offside.

That proved a wake-up call for Philadelphia, who pushed forward soon afterwards. They got the ball down the left wing before a low cross towards the six-yard box was deflected into the path of Jesús Bueno. The Venezuelan cut it back to his fellow countryman, José Martínez, who struck a fierce shot goalward. It looked destined to hit the target before it deflected off a Philadelphia player and went out for a goal kick. 

The hosts would not be denied in the 19th minute when Rémi Walter found the back of the net. A pass in the direction of the midfielder, who was around 20 yards from the goal, was seemingly going to be cut out by Martínez. However, the midfielder lost his footing, which caused him to slip awkwardly. The midfielder landed on his knee, causing the ball to go to Walter. The Kansas City midfielder had the time to shift the ball onto his left foot before curling a shot towards the left corner of the net, with the ball flying beyond a rooted Semmle. It hit the inside of the post before nestling into the back of the net. On a positive note for Philadelphia, Martínez was able to continue after receiving treatment for the landing awkwardly on his knee.

Philadelphia thought they were about to level the game through Quinn Sullivan in the 42nd minute. Jack McGlynn played a lofted pass towards Bueno, who did well to outjump Tim Leibold. The ball bounced into the path of an unmarked Sullivan, who thumped the ball into the back of the net. However, Bueno was penalised for an apparent foul when winning his header against Leibold, ruling the goal out.

HALF-TIME: Sporting Kansas City 1-0 Philadelphia Union

The Union did not take any risks with Martínez ahead of the second half as he was replaced by Ale Bedoya in midfield. That substitution came alongside two other changes, as Kai Wagner and Daniel Gazdag replaced Olivier Mbaizo and Jeremy Rafanello. 

Bedoya got right into the action as Philadelphia had a couple of opportunities to start the second half. The midfielder's effort lacked any power to trouble Tim Melia, as the ball bounced harmlessly into his arms. Gazdag then saw a half-volley from around 25 yards flash wide of the far post a few minutes later. 

The game was seemingly petering out until Leibold almost scored a spectacular own goal. A cross was curled towards the back post from the left in the direction of Mikael Uhre. Leibold got in ahead of the forward to make the decisive contact, but sliced his attempted clearance, sending it backwards. The ball cannoned off the top corner of the woodwork before bouncing out of play. 

Markus Anderson, who replaced Jack McGlynn, was almost the late hero. Quinn Sullivan played an excellent cross towards Anderson, who headed the ball goalward. It looked like it was destined to hit the target, but the striker's effort bounced just wide of the far post. 

The drama did not end there when Gazdag was tripped when attempting to turn into the six-yard box. The Hungarian went down in the hopes of a penalty being awarded. However, the referee and VAR saw nothing wrong with the play, with the attacking midfielder perhaps going down too easily.

Philadelphia were not to be denied their point in the final seconds of stoppage time. Kai Wagner's corner was punched away as far as Bedoya, who did brilliantly to react instantly, sending a first-time left-footed shot into the far corner of the net. The goal came much to the dismay of the home side. In the lead-up to the corner, the ball came off Uhre and went out for a throw-in, but the visitors were awarded the throw. However, that would not ruin the Philadelphia Union's celebrations as they hung on for the most unlikely of points. 

FULL-TIME: Sporting Kansas City 1-1 Philadelphia Union

Sporting Kansas City: Melia, Davis, Rosero, Fontàs, Leibold, Thommy (Rodríguez 80'), Radoja, Walter, Russell, Pulido (Agada 80'), Sallói (Afrifa 87')

Unused Substitutes: Pulskamp, Voloder, Castellanos, Vargas, Hernández, Bassong,

Philadelphia Union: Semmle, Mbaizo (Wagner 46'), Elliott, Lowe, Harriel, José Martínez (Bedoya 46'), Jesús Bueno, McGlynn (Anderson 83'), Rafanello (Gazdag 46'), Sullivan, Donovan (Uhre 57')

Unused Substitutes: Rick, Real, Glesnes, Baribo

66 views0 comments


bottom of page