top of page

REPORT | Philadelphia Union 2-0 FC Cincinnati

Goals from Daniel Gazdag and Paxten Aaronson ensured the Philadelphia Union comfortably beat FC Cincinnati 2-0 at Subaru.

The win moved the Union up into second place ahead of their crunch match against New York City FC on the final day.

Jack McGlynn had the first chance of note in the game as he received the ball from 25 yards out. He decided to try his luck with a shot aimed for the bottom corner, but Kenneth Vermeer was equal to it.

In the 11th minute, Daniel Gazdag scored for the Union. A corner was cleared, and the Union were able to retain possession. Alejandro Bedoya was played into space on the right-hand side but cut the ball back to the edge of the box instead of crossing. Olivier Mbaizo ran onto it and curled a first time shot towards the far bottom corner. The goal was initially awarded to the right-back, but after a review, it was awarded to Gazdag, who appeared to get a slight flick on the ball with his head.

Gazdag almost grabbed his second after some nice build-up play by the Union. It was eventually threaded through to the Hungarian, but his effort went straight at Vermeer

Jakob Glesnes had a great chance to double the Union lead but could not find the target. A corner was flicked on at the front post by Jack Elliott, but it was cleared away before it could reach the Philadelphia player at the back post. It fell into the path of Glesnes, but he volleyed over the crossbar.

Jack McGlynn was the next player to come close for Philadelphia. He was played in on the left-hand side by Gazdag and found himself in a great shooting position. He drilled a shot towards the far bottom corner, but it whistled just wide of the post as it left Vermeer panicking.

Yuya Kubo had FC Cincinnati's first chance of the game in the 40th minute. The ball was headed back towards the winger, but his left-footed shot from the edge of the area was dragged wide of the post.

HALF-TIME: Philadelphia Union 1-0 FC Cincinnati

Alvaro Barreal had a big chance to get Cincinnati level just a few minutes after the break, but his first-time effort went well wide of the target.

In the 53rd minute, Aaronson doubled the Union lead. Gazdag took a quick free-kick allowing McGlynn to get onto the ball. His attempted through ball accidentally hit Aaronson, who then took the ball on himself. He then entered the area before striking a curling shot into the bottom corner.

Jose Martinez tried his luck from distance as he drilled a shot towards the front post. It found the target but was an easy save for Vermeer, who comfortably got down to save it at his near post.

Gazdag came close to scoring his second with a little over ten minutes remaining. His shot went over the bar but did not have enough dip on it as it hit the roof of the net on its way over the goal.

FULL-TIME: Philadelphia Union 2-0 FC Cincinnati

Philadelphia Union- Blake, Mbaizo (Harriel 76'), Glesnes, Elliott, Wagner, Martinez, Bedoya (Bueno 90'), McGlynn (Flach 80'), Aaronson, Gazdag (Sullivan 90'), Przybylko (Burke 80')

Unused Substitutes- Freese, Findlay, Davo, Fontana

FC Cincinnati- Vermeer, Gyau (Duvall 46'), Cameron, Blackett, Bailey, Kubo (Scott 84'), Medunjanin, Stanko, Barreal (Harris 71'), Vazquez, Brenner (Atanga 71')

Unused Substitutes- Cruz, Mokotjo, Tyton, Ordonez, Valot

37 views0 comments


bottom of page