REPORT | Chicago Fire 0-2 Philadelphia Union

Goals from Cory Burke and Jakob Glesnes secured Philadelphia Union's first MLS win of the season as they beat Chicago Fire 2-0 at Soldier Field.

Burke scored in fantastic fashion as Jamiro Monteiro's lofted cut back allowed Burke to rifle a volley into the top corner from six yards out.

Glesnes scored just after the hour as a Union corner went out as far as Kai Wagner, whose shot bounced into the ground and allowed Glesnes to get his head on the ball and flick it towards the top corner.

17-year-old midfielder Jack McGlynn made his first MLS start as Jim Curtin made two changes from the midweek CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final. Cory Burke also returned to the starting XI as Anthony Fontana and Sergio Santos dropped to the bench.

It was a scrappy opening ten minutes with neither side having a chance. A lot of the play was in the middle of the park as both sides battled for possession.

Jakob Glesnes had the first shot of the game from a free-kick. He tried a knuckleball 25 yards from goal, but it sailed over the crossbar leaving Bobby Shuttleworth untroubled.

Cory Burke was denied by a brilliant Shuttleworth save in the 14th minute. Olivier Mbaizo's cross into the area was met by Burke, who jumped highest, and Shuttleworth did well to get his body behind the ball and saved the header. The rebound fell perfectly to Alejandro Bedoya, but he missed the ball as he tried to make contact.

McGlynn came close to scoring twice in a matter of moments. The first chance came after Burke did well to beat his defender and drilled a ball into the box that evaded everybody. The 17-year-old was waiting at the back post but saw his goal-bound shot blocked. The second chance came as Bedoya dragged the ball across the six-yard box, and McGlynn again had his effort blocked on the line.

In the 30th minute, Chicago tested Andre Blake for the first time. Elliot Collier's first touch inside the area allowed him to have some space before shooting on the half volley. His effort was a strong one but straight at Blake.

HALF-TIME: Chicago Fire 0-0 Philadelphia Union

Burke gave Philadelphia the lead in the 51st minute. Mbaizo's throw was into the forward, who flicked it to Jamiro Monteiro. Monteiro then lofted it back towards the six-yard box, and Burke was on hand to rifle a left-footed volley into the top corner.

Robert Beric almost found an immediate response. However, he could not hit the target from close range.

In the 59th minute, Kacper Przybylko almost made it two. A cross towards the back post allowed Przybylko to head towards the top corner, and Shuttleworth did brilliantly, pushing it away for a corner.

Bedoya was denied by a fingertip save a minute later. Przybylko's flick-on saw Bedoya get a toe on the ball, but Shuttleworth did well to push it wide.

Jakob Glesnes made it two just after the hour. Kai Wagner's shot into the ground bounced perfectly and allowed Glesnes to head it into the back of the net.

Chicago had a penalty shout in the 69th minute as Bedoya clashed with the substitute, Miguel Navarro. However, the referee waved away any penalty claims and gave the Union a goal kick.

Gaston Gimenez came inches away from getting Chicago back in the game in spectacular fashion. The ball was headed as far as the midfielder, who set himself before shooting on the half-volley from 25 yards. His effort left Blake rooted to the spot, but it went wide of the post.