top of page

Match Report: Union Take Down Portland 3-0

Photo Cred:

The Union now enter a long break before their next match, and they looked to start the hiatus with a home win vs the Portland Timbers.

Starting XI



Mbaizo, Glesnes, Elliott, Wagner

Bedoya, Flach, Martinez, Monteiro

Santos, Przybylko



Van Rankin, Tuiloma, Zuparic, Bravo

Chara, Williamson

Ebobisse, Valeri, Loria


First Half Summary

The first twenty minutes were fairly quiet. Kai Wagner gave the Union their best chance with a strong volley at net, but it sailed wide of the keeper. Portland's better chance came early on in the match at the 4th minute, as a Diego Valeri free kick was kept out of net. There was a booking as well, as Mbaizo was shown a yellow.

The back and forth continued in Subaru Park until Sergio earned a free kick in the attacking half. Wagner then sent a great pass into the box, and Kacper was inexplicably unmarked. Przybylko headed it into the back of the net and put the home team up 1-0.

The Union wouldn't remain quiet for long, as a Wagner corner kick was sent toward goal by Kacper. Santos was in perfect position to redirect the ball passed Ketterer. Philly puts themselves up 2-0 with 15 minutes left in the first half. Check out the goal shared by the MLS.

Union continued their pressure on the Timbers defense, and we all thought that Flach put Philly up 3-0. Leon found the ball in the box, but VAR showed that his left hand deflected the ball to his feet. Unfortunate there, and Philly was forced to settle with a 2-0 lead after 45 minutes.

Second Half Summary

The Union picked up where they left off. Kacper and Miro charged the net in the 47th minute, but the cross from Przybylko was a little too soft and corralled before it reached Jamiro's feet.

Portland's offense began to come to life in the 50th minute. Chara's shot from outside the box was sent out for a corner, but once again the Philly D took care of business. A charging Flach then earned the Union a corner kick off the counter, but Portland avoided any further damage.

Timbers came oh so close in the 56th minute. Mora found the ball at his feet in the box, but he was falling back and sailed the easy goal over the crossbar. Union dodged a huge bullet there, and things remained 2-0.

An unfortunate moment came in the 60th minute. Santos sat down in the box and removed his cleat. Burke was almost immediately brought in for Sergio, who was able to walk off on his own. Wishing Sergio the best during this extended break, but his departure certainly seemed injury related.

Philly earned another free kick in the 61st minute. Kacper was halted just outside the box, and Zuparic was given his first yellow of the night. Wagner's kick was sent out for a corner, and Miro's pass was headed toward goal. The rebound then found Burke, and a second rebound ricocheted right to Jack Elliott. He confidently put the ball in the back of the net and set the Union up with a 3-0 lead.

Portland soon made a substitution in the 68th minute with Loria replaced by McGraw.

Another yellow was given to the Portland squad when Bravo took down Miro by the corner and earned himself a booking. This then led to a very close moment for Philly, as a shot on net touched off the post and trickled out of bounds.

Portland almost made it 3-1. A quick touch from Ebobisse was fortunately hit right to Andre. A sloppy turnover then led to another chance from Ebobisse, but his shot was sent flying off toward the top of the box. Blake was then out of position, but Valeri missed the wide open net. Andre was visibly upset with his defense, and it was great to see the best keeper in the MLS be so animated about keeping the clean sheet.

Timbers then made a sub in the 79th minute. Mora was given a rest by Asprilla.

An exciting moment came for the Union in the 88th minute. Jim has spoken recently about Paxten Aaronson making his MLS debut, and Coach replaced Flach with the young Medford product. Portland also made two subs with Van Rankin and Valeri relieved by Bonilla and Zambrano.

Three minutes of stoppage time was given by the referee, but the only notable Union activity came from Sullivan and Fontana subbing out Bedoya and Kacper. The final whistle was soon blown and the Union closed out this match with a 3-0 victory.

The Union have now climbed their way into the second place spot in the Eastern Conference standings. Their next match is on June 20th in Atlanta at 2:00 p.m.

- Mike Barrera (mbarrera1323 on Twitter)

69 views0 comments


bottom of page